Saturday, August 11, 2012

Hillbilly Tea

Outside @ Hillbilly Tea
Recently, my grandmother came to visit us in Louisville, Ky. I really love having out of town visitors because it gives me the chance to approach a city that I am in on a regular basis like a tourist. I visit the tourist websites and find fun things that I think would be something my visitor would enjoy.

My grandmother and I share a love for tea. So I searched the web to try and find like a little tea house or a place around town that offered tea and boy did I find a place! A fantastic little place called Hillbilly Tea. Emphasizing an Appalachian theme with a focus on tea it was the perfect place to show an out of town visitor Kentucky culture.
How they served tea: with filters on top of mason jars.

Besides being the perfect theme, it was well decorated and very rustic and authentic. I loved the decor that had lots of re-claimed wood, mason and mustard jars, paint cans filled with tea, etc. Well thought out with great attention to detail, I knew when I arrived this was going to be a special place. So we ordered a tea platter, some tea, and a peach salad. The tea platter was so cute and included:  
Decor. Great tea themed desserts.


smoked chicken salad on corn pone
benedictine on stale bread
biscuit & apple butter
pork fried popcorn
candied nuts
tea cookie trio

The benedictine for those of you who don't know is like a whipped cucumber cream cheese that is a Kentucky Derby Staple. You can use it as a dip or on a sandwich, either way, its refreshing and delicious. Check out the recipe here

The biscuits were incredible and pork fried popcorn delicious. Finishing up with some tea cookies.... I cannot wait to go back to this place. 


You should definitely check it out. 



Hillbilly Tea on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    Your first post just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/51/1525998/restaurant/Downtown/Hillbilly-Tea-Louisville

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/51/8979/Louisville/Beautiful-Eats.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete